Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring has Sprung!

I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I think Spring has finally arrived!  Although I will retract that if we happen to get more snow.  (I know, bite my tongue!)

Has spring inspired you to dig into your stash for brighter colors or for a particular project? With our newest little man, it is hard to find time for sewing right now, but hopefully soon we will have a better routine down and I can get back into my sewing room.  So, for now I will have to live vicariously through you!  Share your photos!  We love show and tell here.

Hopefully you will all be finding some time to get outside to enjoy the much needed sunshine. 

Today, we are going to leave a little quilting tip.  When sewing a sew and flip block, there are a couple of ways to do your trimming.  You probably don't want to leave all 3 layers of fabric there as that creates some bulk that may cause some issues when it comes to quilting time.  If you are a scrap collector,  you can sew another seam 1/2" from your original seam (towards the outside of your original seam and before flipping).  Then you can trim between the seam lines and have a 1/2 square triangle all ready to go in another project.  If you don't have a 1/2" between but still want to do this, you can cheat your seam allowance however much you feel comfortable.

Or, you can cut out only the middle fabric after flipping.  This leaves your base fabric (or the larger piece you sewed onto) completely intact.  The benefits of this is that with your base fabric still intact you will still have the original size that you are sewing/flipping onto and helps minimize any error from sewing or fabric stretching as you do your sew and flip.  Plus it leaves a nice crisp corner for you to work off of.

I'm going to give credit for the second half of this little tip to Billie Lauder (who has a wonderful little book called "Quick Quilt Tricks" which you can find here) as I believe that is where I learned it.

Hopefully you learned something new!  Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment